5 Top Tips to support healthy habits for the whole family
1. Reduce the consumption of food and drinks that contain sugars and watch out for portion size
2. Brush teeth at least twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste last thing at night and on at least one other occasion. Use family fluoride toothpaste. Visit the dentist on a regular basis and take your child to the dentist as soon as the first tooth appears in the mouth. Discuss the benefits of fluoride varnish
3. Discourage dummy dipping and encourage stopping bottle feeding and use of dummies by one year of age
4. Physical activity should be encouraged from birth, particularly through floor-based play and water-based activities in safe environments. All under 5s should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary (being restrained or sitting) for extended periods (except time spent sleeping).
5. Build positive experiences through good quality relationships